The Arts: A Cornerstone of DaVinci's Educational Program
Art is crucial to students’ growth and development. Studies show that artistic experiences can positively contribute to physical and psychological well-being by lowering stress, improving memory, and developing students’ critical and creative skills. Students who participate in art education have also been shown to have better attendance, improved writing skills, and reduced disciplinary issues.
DaVinci Academy is proud to have a rich arts program and focus. Students receive both music and visual art education each week by teachers dedicated to those subjects. The musical offerings are especially diverse in middle school.
When you walk into our building you will immediately notice the art displays, framed student art, and the colorful surroundings of the school. We also utilize our beautiful Performing Arts Center for music and theater productions throughout the school year. Here are just some of the unique artistic offerings for elementary and middle school students at DaVinci Academy:
- Dance residency programs. See this article from 2022.
- School plays and musicals. Nearly 60 students typically participate in fall and spring shows.
- Music competitions and concerts. Every year the middle school orchestra competes in the MNSOTA Middle LEvel Orchestra Festival, where students from across Minnesota compete for an opportunity to perform in Orchestra Hall. Additionally, although many schools no longer offer in-person concerts, we enjoy showing what students have learned and practiced and welcome families to our annual performances.
- After-school enrichment opportunities. A large range of activities are offered; some of the recent artistic offerings include Glee Club/Music Video Production 101, Let’s Draw Together, Anime Academy, and Crafts with Class.
- Intersession. Regular classes are suspended during a week-long intersession each spring so students can focus on an area of interest. Past intersession topics include Reader’s Theater, Pottery, Crochet, and Film Making.