The DaVinci Academy busing system is different from most traditional public schools.
DaVinci Academy does not offer door to door busing service to any families unless a child has an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) that reflects the need for special transportation. DaVinci Academy uses community bus stops to serve the students. The bus routes and stops are determined by the bus company, Kottke’s Bus Company, Inc., in coordination with the school, and are created by using the following guiding principles:
- Community-based bus stops: Publicly accessible places where families can safely wait with their kids in the morning and wait for them in the afternoon, and where the bus can easily access and maneuver. We also require permission from the establishment for use of their parking lot twice each day.
- Maximum 50 minute average ride (assuming good weather and normal traffic). This implies shorter distances and fewer stops.
- Generally stop within the Anoka Hennepin school district boundaries and no stops further than 1.5 miles outside the Anoka Hennepin school district boundaries.
A preliminary set of stops is communicated to families in spring of the preceding year and families are required to choose the stop that they will be using for the following school year using a school designed form. Routes are then adjusted based on numbers and a final bus stop listing is presented to parents before the next school year begins.
Parents who have concerns about the bus stop should contact the school directly and may not move or create stops, nor pressure drivers or the bus company to move stops. Once the school year begins routes and stops will only be adjusted at the discretion of the administration for the following reasons:
- Safety and traffic concerns regarding the location of a stop
- Stops that are not being utilized by families
- Elimination of a stop by the parties who own the property on which the stop is located.
- Other qualifying circumstances as determined by the school and Kottke’s Bus Company Inc.
The Bus Stops page is password protected. Please contact the office for the password.
The bus safety guidelines are included in the document below.
If you are interested in carpooling with another family we can get you connected. Just fill out this form and you will be able to share your information with other families who would like to carpool as well.
Pick Up and Drop Off Q & A
The Bunker Lake entrance to the parking lot is reserved for buses during pick up and drop off times. Parents should enter the lot at Jefferson and follow the parking lot around north, then west, then south in order to be aligned with the red curb and the loading and unloading zone. The red curbing outside the east door is the loading and unloading zone and children should not be dropped anywhere besides this area for maximum safety and efficiency.
There will be an administrator at each door who can help with unloading if a child needs it. We encourage parents to help their children become independent for this important transition into the school.
Mornings can be a stressful time of day for parents and students, so the more smoothly the drop off process goes, the happier all of our days begin. Please be conscientious of the others in car line with you and SHOW SPARK.
Teachers will move down the line of waiting cars in order to enter family numbers into the Silent Dismissal system. Please make sure your family number is clearly displayed on your dashboard or mirror for the teachers to read. Your child’s name will then be displayed on the board in the classrooms and they will come out to get into your vehicle. Parents then pass waiting cars in the passing lane to exit the school while other cars move forward to allow more cars into the loading zone.
As with the morning drop off please:
- Patiently wait for your turn,
- Load your child from the curb side door only
- And SHOW SPARK.
What if I need to meet with a teacher after school or just want to pick up my child? Can I come in? Yes, parents can park and enter the school at the north door which will take them directly in to the office. From there parents may enter their Silent Dismissal number and wait outside the auditorium for children to come to the front.
Students will see their name displayed in their classroom and come to the front to meet you.
You will also need to make sure your Silent Dismissal preferences reflect a “Pick Up Only” setting which means that you will be picking up your child.