Subject Matter Enrichment Through Focused Curriculum
DaVinci Academy’s Intersession Program offers students in all grades additional opportunities to grow and learn. One annual optional intersession is offered per year and, while not required, the school strongly encourages all students to take advantage of it.
Regular classes are suspended during Intersession so that students may focus on and develop a deeper understanding of a particular subject area. Curriculum costs for the optional intersession vary depending on the topics being offered and classes are offered for mixed age groups.
Intersessions in the past have included such topics as:
- Dinosaurs, including a field trip to the Science Museum
- Theater, in which students wrote and performed an original screen play
- Video Gaming, which included the math and science behind the game and a field trip to Activision
- Pottery, where students had the opportunity to design and fire their pottery in our school’s kiln, as well as go on a field trip to the Clay Center
- Pay it Forward, which focused on how kids can give back to their community. Students helped local organizations such as the Humane Society, food shelves, nursing homes and local parks
- Intents, where students enjoyed an outdoor experience that included cooking, adventure activities, camping, and survival skills with an overnight camping trip at a local campground
- Holidays Around the World, giving students the opportunity to experience world holidays and traditions through crafts, food, and celebrations. Students were introduced to a variety of holidays such as Diwali, Japanese Doll Festival, May Day and Mardi Gras
During the January 2011 intersession class, two groups of students took a field trip to Wild Mountain Ski and Snowboard to go tubing and learn about friction, angles, energy and speed. The story was on WCCO news. Read the full story on WCCO’s website.